Cultivating mint at home is one of the best ways to flavor your dishes through the fresh taste of this aromatic plant. With your pot in your kitchen, you will no longer even need to move, you just have to harvest the sheets you want to use. However, it happens that the crops are important and the mint leaves will yellow if you do not keep them well.
Discover all the Urban Cuisine tips to keep mint well.
First step to keep the mint: harvest
How to harvest mint?
Once your mint will do more than 10cm, cut A rod above a knot with scissors or take the leaves by hand.
Sort the stems and keep the best. Rinse them to remove the earth, then drain them in a colander. Finally, roll up a cloth around your mint leaves so that they can dry.
How much amount to harvest?
Harvest mint according to your needs.
Keep the mint
2 tips to keep the mint in the refrigerator
Method to keep the mint in the refrigerator for a week
- Mamp a paper towel with a little water
- Wrap it around your leaves mint
- Place everything in a freezing bag or in an airtight box that you will put in the vegetable trap of your refrigerator
- Renew absorbing paper every two days
Method to refrigerate for 5 days
- Tie up Your bouquet mint
- Put this bouquet in a glass of water
- Cover Mint with freezing bag or plastic film
- Last step: put everything in the refrigerator
2 tips for freezing mint
In a freezing bag to freeze for two months
- Chop Mint
- Place the chopped mint in a freezing bag
- Note the date and name of the variety
- Put the bag in the freezer
In an ice cube tray
- Chop Mint
- Divide the chopped mint in a ice tray
- Fill out The holes with water
- Put everything in the freezer as you would with classic ice cubes
How to dry the mint?
The drying method has the advantage of a conservation on the long term. However, while freezing retains all the flavor of the mint, it can be reduced by drying. It remains an easy and practical method. You can then store your mint sheets in a glass jar.
How to dry the mint leaves in the open air?
1) Gather your mint stems bouquet
2) Tie up The bouquet with a string
3) Hang your bouquets mint in a cool, dry and dark place
4) After two weeks, detach your mint bouquets
6) Separate The leaves of the stem by hand to keep only the foliage
How to dry the mint leaves in the microwave?
1) Harvest and wash the mint leaves
2) Arrange them on a plate by spacing them
3) Place the plate 10 seconds in the microwave
4) Check that the sheets do not break, then add another 10 seconds if the leaves are not dried enough. You can renew This operation at maximum 3 times.
Dry the mint leaves in the oven
1) Spread mint leaves on a plate
2) Bake has low temperature for 5 to 15 minutes
You will have to be careful that the leaves do not burn.
How to dry mint flowers?
- During the flowering season, collect the mint stems that have flowers
- Hang the stems In an airy and sheltered place
Macerate the mint
Macerate the mint in oil
- Arrange the mint leaves in A glass bottle
- You can add an aromatic grass of your choice to combine the flavors
- Pour oil in the bottle
- Leave to macerate for at least 2 weeks
Infuse mint leaves in drink
Infuse mint to make a mint syrup
-30g of leaves
- 30cl of water
- 300g of sugar
1) Pour the ingredients into a saucepan
2) bring to a boil then Leave to infuse for 20 minutes
3) Filter the preparation
4) Keep the syrup in the container of your choice
What if you are now embarking on the culture of your own green mint plant? Discover our clod of culture, perfectly imagined for culture in small spaces, apartments or houses without outdoor space.
Our 3-in-1 culture clod is made up of compacted professional soil, nutrients adapted to the needs of the plant from harvesting and seeds of French origin and labeled "organic farming".
Garden has never been easier, don't hesitate!
You can also benefit from all Urban Cuisine on Mint advice and all our varieties: "When and how to plant mint in a pot?", "How to cultivate Basil in pot inside?", "What aromatic plants grow in autumn?"...